- Policy Information
- Human Rights
- Treaties·International Law
- Development Cooperation
- International Organization
- Human Rights
- Bilateral Economic Relations
- Public Diplomacy
Prof. Baek Buhm-Suk Elected as Member of UN Human Rights Council Advisory Committee
1. Professor at the Kyung Hee College of International Studies Baek Buhm-Suk was elected as a member of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) Advisory Committee for the October 2020-September 2023 term in the election held in Geneva on October 7, local time.
° The UNHRC Advisory Committee, composed of 18 human rights experts with expertise and experiences in the field of human rights as well as morality, independence and impartiality, serves as a think tank that gives advice to the UNHRC and conducts research on human rights.
° The term of membership is three years and is extendable once. The Committee is composed of five members each from African States and Asian States, three each from Latin American and Caribbean States, and Western European States, and two from Eastern European States.
2. Professor Baek Buhm-Suk is an expert in international law on human rights who has served as an advisor to government agencies dealing with human rights issues, an advisory member of the International Human Rights Committee under the National Human Rights Commission of Korea, an International Director of the Korean Society of International Law, and an auditor of the Korea Human Rights Foundation, among others, during which he took an active part in major studies and discussions on human rights issues by communicating and cooperating closely with the government, academic circles and civil society.
3. The government of the Republic of Korea has actively been supporting Koreans with expertise to build presence in international human rights mechanisms as part of its contribution to the international efforts to protect and promote human rights. During Professor Baek’s service on the UNHRC Advisory Committee, the ROK is expected to contribute further to the international efforts to protect and promote human rights.