- Policy Information
- Human Rights
- Treaties·International Law
- Development Cooperation
- International Organization
- Human Rights
- Bilateral Economic Relations
- Public Diplomacy
Minister of Foreign Affairs Meets with Director General of International Vaccine Institute (IVI)
1. Minister of Foreign Affairs Kang, Kyung-wha met with Director General of the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) Jerome Kim at 11:00-11:30, June 12, and listened to IVI’s accomplishments and COVID-19-related activities.
o IVI Director General Jerome Kim introduced the development and distribution of a cholera vaccine, a representative case where IVI’s vision of supporting developing countries through the development of affordable vaccines was realized. He went on to explain that IVI is also taking an active part in research to develop vaccines for COVID-19.
2. Minister Kang said that considering the growing international awareness of the importance of tackling and preventing infectious diseases due to the COVID-19 pandemic this year, IVI’s role as an international organization with expertise and in pursuit of the public interest has become all the more important.
o Director General Jerome Kim expressed appreciation to the ROK for contributing to IVI’s development as its host country and the largest donor country.
3. Minister Kang and Director General Kim, sharing the view that the development and distribution of vaccines is essential in responding to infectious diseases, a common threat to mankind, agreed to continue close cooperation.